From: John Belmonte <jvb@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] documentation style comment
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 02:20:08
1 Hello,
2
3 I run a modest desktop resolution (1024x768) of which my browser window
4 takes up about two thirds. Hoping to still have my eyesight when I'm
5 80, I like to view documents with a medium-large font.
6
7 However in the documents on your site (such as
8 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/desktop.html) the text does not wrap to a
9 "narrow" browser window, forcing me to do much horizontal scrolling. It
10 seems like the page width is subject to the longest line of all the
11 preformatted text boxes.
12
13 Of course by definition preformatted text must not wrap to the window,
14 but ideally normal text always should. I suggest not to make the bounds
15 for normal text depend on the preformatted text. Horizontal scrolling
16 will then only be required should a long preformatted line comes up.
17
18 I encounter this problem often on the net. While normally I would not
19 bother commenting about it, I was encouraged by the article on
20 gentoo.org redesign (you are trying to make a site that users are happy
21 with) and also an interest in Gentoo Linux.
24 -John Belmonte
28 OpenPGP encrypted mail welcome.