From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Revisions for USE flag changes
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2017 10:32:31
1 On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 12:22 AM, Michael Palimaka
2 <kensington@g.o> wrote:
3 > On 08/12/2017 09:50 AM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
4 >> Q. But what about the rebuilds?
5 >>
6 >> For most packages, the rebuilds simply don't matter. Unless you're
7 >> the maintainer of libreoffice, firefox, chromium, etc. -- just do the
8 >> revision and forget about the (quick) rebuilds.
9 >
10 > I really wish people would stop trotting out this false argument. Not
11 > everyone has the latest and greatest hardware. Rebuilds have a real cost
12 > to end users and as such we should use them wisely.
15 Agree, but maintainers would have the option to just not change IUSE
16 at all until the next time they would revbump anyway. That saves
17 rebuilds for those using --changed-use today.
18
19 I'm not convinced that it is actually that easy for people to avoid
20 --changed-use, and if they are using it then they're going to
21 potentially get exposed to these rebuilds when IUSE changes.
24 Rich