From: Joshua Baergen <joshuabaergen@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ekeyword and ordering
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 16:21:30
1 On 6/11/05, foser <foser@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2005-06-11 at 17:28 +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
3 > > By lack of policy?
4 >
5 > Well I'm sort of concerned by the fact that I have to state the obvious,
6 > but really by people reordering them for no reason.
7 >
8 > It's not the lack of policy that is the problem here, it's the use of
9 > some self defined not uniform policy. There was no need for policy or
10 > regulation until some people set their own rules to play by, I really
11 > don't understand why that move gets defended by anyone.
12 >
13 > - foser
16 > BodyID:123219267.2.n.logpart (stored separately)
19 But if the policy doesn't exist there is no reason for new developers
20 to play by the current rules. The mentor certainly doesn't have to
21 mention it because it's not policy, it's not stated anywhere on the
22 devrel guide (unless I missed that section - it's certainly not within
23 the variable description section of the ebuild guide).
24
25 My point is that unless it's made policy there is no reason to expect
26 that everyone's going to follow what even a group of people consider
27 logical order. Personally, if I'm looking through keywords, I don't
28 care what order they're in. It's not like there are 100 keywords or
29 something, it should take a person paying attention long to look
30 through them and pick out any errors. Therefore, I would not really
31 care what order I put the keywords in unless someone told me, "This is
32 the order to put them in."
33
34 I don't think people "set their own rules to play by" in spite of the
35 rules, but rather because they didn't know there were any.
38 Joshua Baergen
41 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list