From: Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] name of smartcard support USE flag
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2015 17:31:50
1 On 13 December 2015 at 19:30, Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 13 December 2015 at 19:28, Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Le dimanche 13 décembre 2015 à 18:25 +0200, Alon Bar-Lev a écrit :
4 >>> On 13 December 2015 at 18:20, Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o>
5 >>> wrote:
6 >>> >
7 >>> > I was trying to cleanup my local USE flag settings and stumbled on
8 >>> > the
9 >>> > following three: smartcard, pcsc-lite and pkcs11.
10 >>> >
11 >>> > Knowing all 3 are related, I greped use.local.desc to see what each
12 >>> > meant for different packages. To sum up what I found:
13 >>> > * pcsc-lite is basically: enable smartcard support through
14 >>> > <pkg>sys-
15 >>> > apps/pcsc-lite</pkg>
16 >>> > * pkcs11: enabled PKCS#11 (smartcard) via $pkg
17 >>> >
18 >>> > These look like the same thing to me so I propose we merge them all
19 >>> > into USE=smartcard as this is the feature being enabled, not the
20 >>> > lib or
21 >>> > the standard being used to access the hardware if any.
22 >>>
23 >>> pcsc-lite and PKCS#11 interfaces are both related to smartcards but
24 >>> different unrelated interfaces. I am unsure merging them will serve
25 >>> the purpose for applications that are capable of supporting more than
26 >>> one interface.
27 >>
28 >>> also, please notice that PKCS#11 is not all about smartcards, but an
29 >>> interface to any cryptographic hardware.
30 >>
31 >> I agree with your points, my point is that it seems most of the time,
32 >> both use flags are used in place of smartcard (or another name if this
33 >> one does not fit in your opinion).
34 >>
35 >> According to local description, app-mobilephone/gnoki, net-
36 >> libs/libosmocore and net-misc/rdesktop at least should be using
37 >> USE=smartcard instead of USE=pcsc-lite
38 >
39 > rdesktop - I agree.
40
41 BTW: why don't you use net-misc/freerdp, works better to me and does
42 have smartcard USE :)
43
44 > I do not know the other packages.