From: David Seifert <soap@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, pr@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] News item: sys-libs/db old SLOT removal
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 22:41:37
1 The old Berkeley DB slots need to go at this point. The Base Project has
2 decided to consider BDB a deprecated database backend, and we'll slowly
3 be working towards a (possibly) BDB-free ::gentoo some time in the long-
4 term future.
5
6 * * *
7
8 Title: sys-libs/db old SLOT removal
9 Author: David Seifert <soap@g.o>
10 Posted: 2021-05-26
11 Revision: 1
12 News-Item-Format: 2.0
13 Display-If-Installed: sys-libs/db:1
14 Display-If-Installed: sys-libs/db:3
15 Display-If-Installed: sys-libs/db:4.2
16 Display-If-Installed: sys-libs/db:4.3
17 Display-If-Installed: sys-libs/db:4.4
18 Display-If-Installed: sys-libs/db:4.5
19 Display-If-Installed: sys-libs/db:4.6
20 Display-If-Installed: sys-libs/db:4.7
21 Display-If-Installed: sys-libs/db:5.1
22
23 On 1st June, we will mask the following Berkeley DB (aka sys-libs/db)
24 slots for removal from the tree within 60 days (bug #792222):
25
26 - 1
27 - 3
28 - 4.2
29 - 4.3
30 - 4.4
31 - 4.5
32 - 4.6
33 - 4.7
34 - 5.1
35
36 You should export your data first before rebuilding any applications
37 against newer slots of sys-libs/db.
38
39 Furthermore, the Gentoo Base System Team has decided to consider
40 sys-libs/db a deprecated database backend. What this means for you is
41 that we will slowly start deprecating optional use of sys-libs/db in
42 consumers and mask their USE="berkdb" flags with the goal of eventual
43 removal of berkdb support from those packages.
44
45 Other distros such as Fedora have started a gradual phase-out of
46 Berkeley DB too, given Oracle's strong-armed approach to community
47 input and their arguably hostile switch to the AGPLv3
48 (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Libdb_deprecated). Furthermore,
49 Oracle is known to remove critical features from BDB in patch releases,
50 such as the removal of the client-server architecture and the SQL API
51 between 18.1.32 and 18.1.40.
52
53 To this end, we will also be removing USE="berkdb" from
54 profiles/default/linux/make.defaults. If you implicitly depend on
55 profiles enabling optional use of sys-libs/db, you will need to enable
56 this USE flag yourself, beginning 1st June.
57
58 From here on, you should be working under the assumption that the
59 sys-libs/db package will be gone from the Gentoo repository within
60 **two years** from the time of this news item. If you depend on BDB in
61 a production environment, we strongly suggest you move to one of the
62 modern replacements, such as GDBM, SQLite or LMDB.