From: Jason Mobarak <aether@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] CFLAGS moved to ebuilds.
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 17:57:46
1 I'm in favour of this GLEP, while it's implementation may be difficult it would
2 provide users with a better basis for what is good for a particular package. I
3 c?ompile with relatively safe flags and I feel like my system isn't really
4 benefitting from the fact that I'm compiling stuff because I don't know much
5 about cflags and what their particular implications are for certain packages. I
6 feel relatively certain that there is a high percentage of Gentoo users that are
7 the same as me.
8
9 Also, from a support standpoint, having a stable set of flags that a user can
10 compile with in order to debug problems is quite beneficial in my opinion.
11
12 Debian does not have problems providing separate packages for separate
13 architectures, why should this be a problem for Gentoo? -- especially if we
14 utilise our large user base in aiding us to find optimal compilation
15 optimisations.
19 ----------Jason-A-Mobarak-~
20 -aether-at-gentoo-dot-org-~
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list