From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] how to handle sensitive files when generating binary packages
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 04:49:22
1 there are many files out there that contain critical information about your
2 system ... lets look at /etc/shadow
3
4 baselayout installs this file, yet it is not listed in CONTENTS for a very
5 good reason ... if someone were to run `quickpkg baselayout` and post the
6 file somewhere, they could easily have done so without realizing the
7 implications. social engineering on irc for example would be trivial to
8 accomplish this and say hello to my little root shell.
9
10 however, there are certainly cases where the admin fully knows what they're
11 doing and they want to create a binary package of their system with these
12 sensitive files ... so where to meet in the middle.
13
14 mayhaps we need a new function to be run in src_install() to label files
15 as "sensitive" ... so baselayout would do:
16 esosensitive /etc/{fstab,group,passwd,shadow}
17 and then we expand the format of CONTENTS in the vdb:
18 priv /etc/fstab <hash> <mtime>
19
20 any other potential ideas ? (pretend my idea here isnt the greatest thing
21 since Robot Chicken)
22 -mike