From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Discontinuing LibreSSL support?
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 18:24:35
1 Am Dienstag, 29. Dezember 2020, 13:29:35 EET schrieb Peter Stuge:
2 > I agree completely that it's unreasonable for Gentoo (worse, 1 person!)
3 > to continuosly patch the entire world for libressel.
4 >
5 > I'm asking to stop doing that, yet still enable the choice between
6 > openssl and libressl where that is possible without patches, even
7 > if that's only openntpd and one other package.
8
9 a) The two cannot be installed concurrently. To fix that would require even
10 more hacks.
11 -> all relevant ssl consumers on the user's system must be linked against the
12 one selected
13
14 b) The libraries are not guaranteed to be binary compatible, so switching
15 implementation requires rebuilding consumers. Especially since this is a
16 security-sensitive package.
17 -> all relevant ssl consumers on the user's system must be *built* against the
18 one selected
19
20 Which leads us to
21
22 c) If a single package that the user wants to install is not "fixed" for one
23 ssl library, it blocks that option for all packages.
24 -> horrible (but real and justified) emerge blockers and general hilarity ensue
25
26 I guess if you can come up with a solution that
27 * provides secure usage of the libraries,
28 * provides choice to the user, and
29 * doesn't lead to unupgradeable systems or unresolvable dependencies
30 we'd all be happier. So far we haven't found one.
33 Andreas K. Hüttel
34 dilfridge@g.o
35 Gentoo Linux developer
36 (council, qa, toolchain, base-system, perl, libreoffice)