From: Christian Parpart <trapni@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] net-www/apache testing request (marking stable anytime soon)
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 20:19:30
1 On Monday 11 April 2005 7:55 pm, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > Hi Jason,
3 >
4 > Jason Wever wrote:
5 > | And why would we not want to present the default Apache index.html to our
6 > | users?
7 >
8 > Installing anything as a default page into /var/www/localhost/htdocs/ is
9 > dangerous. If the Apache install is an upgrade, the default page could
10 > quite easily break someone's working website.
11 >
12 > I haven't looked at the new page myself (yet), but I hope that
13 >
14 > a) it's only installed if a local USE flag is enabled, and
15
16 yes. definitely.
17
18 > b) that it's tasteful and contains useful "Getting Started" material
19
20 tasteful. yeah. useful getting started? yeah, one href to
21 gentoo org. No, seriousely, you wanna more "getting started"?
22 Than hire the documentation team, because upstream apache won't
23 maintain "getting started" docs anylonger as a default webpage
24 and we did not agree to their current plain'n'ugly "It works!"
25 page. Once we've set up the server documentation e.g.
26 (that one on apache-svn repos that still exists) than yeah, lets
27 put it up. But for so long? no way. (except for the conditions
28 mentioned above).
29
30 Christian Parpart.
33 Netiquette: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt
34 22:15:47 up 19 days, 11:22, 4 users, load average: 0.85, 0.77, 0.80