From: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Looking for developers for a new 'Planet' web-app
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 14:14:48
1 Hi,
2
3 As the Planet Gentoo admin (http://planet.gentoo.org), I often get feature
4 ideas and requests for ways to enhance the Planet website.
5
6 Right now, a python script called "planet" (www.planetplanet.org) powers the
7 site. planet is a nice simple script, which is invoked by cron every hour - it
8 fetches the weblog content for all the developers it knows about, finds the
9 most recent 60 articles, and formats them into a HTML page which is saved to
10 an area of disk served up by apache at http://planet.gentoo.org.
11
12 planet is a nice system and makes it dead easy to set up a Planet-style
13 aggregator. However the feature requests that I am recieving go out of the
14 scope of what a simple script can do.
15
16 Examples of what people are requesting:
17 - Ability to browse the 'archives' (i.e. the content which has dropped off the
18 end of the page, which planet discards)
19 - Ability to search the content and the archives
20 - Ability to browse by Gentoo herd, i.e. view the weblogs of the apache
21 maintainers.
22
23 I'm seeking people who would be interested in developing and maintaining a
24 more dynamic Planet web-application which could handle features such as these.
25
26 I hope that this will create a new open-source project (or an effort to extend
27 an existing system, if there are any) which would be used to power Planet
28 Gentoo in the future, and be easily available for other communities who wish
29 to use it.
30
31 I envision this being a database-driven application but all implementation
32 details will be up to the volunteers who take up the task :)
33 Unfortunately I don't have time to get heavily involved with the development,
34 but I will "oversee" the project.
35
36 This is open to everyone (not only Gentoo developers...) - infact I'd like to
37 see this bringing a few more people into Gentoo development.
38
39 If you are interested, please send me an email (dsd@g.o) with the
40 following info:
41
42 1. Your preferred web development languages/platforms/etc.
43 2. Other languages/platforms you would be prepared to work with should the
44 majority of other volunteers wish to work with those instead.
45 3. Your previous experience developing web-applications and working with
46 related software (don't worry if this isn't much).
47 4. Any experience you have with blogs/aggregation/RSS/...
48
49 Feel free to spam me with related ideas/comments if you have any :)
50
51 Thanks,
52 Daniel
53 --