From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Paid support
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 13:49:13
1 On Sat, 2006-09-09 at 05:06 +0000, Duncan wrote:
2 > I see (and appreciate) his point tho. As you say, we /should/ be in the
3 > clear. However, if we use the wrong language on the paid support setup
4 > page, then the IRS /could/ find that the corporations are hiring Gentoo
5 > developers in a quid-pro-quo of some sort, and that the Gentoo NFP is only
6 > an attempt at an illegal tax shelter arrangement whereby Gentoo is just a
7 > convenient way to arrange to pay someone more without them having to pay
8 > taxes on it.
9
10 There's no point in reading *anything* else below here, because you've
11 made one BIG assumption. We *do* pay taxes.
12
13 When $company hires me to do work for them, I fill out a W-9. This
14 means that *I* am an independent contractor and *I* am responsible for
15 paying the taxes on my income.
16
17 Gentoo has nothing to do with it. All liabilities are on the individual
18 and the company.
21 Chris Gianelloni
22 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
23 x86 Architecture Team