From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] zlib breakage
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 21:47:12
I believe something needs to be done with the zlib- and -r2
packages currently in the tree.  The maintainer of zlib pushed those
revisions with a patch that alters macro identifiers, making Gentoo's
zlib incompatible with upstream.  As a result, a lot of packages stopped
building.  Bug reports for broken packages come in and then are being
modified to fit Gentoo's zlib.

Breaking compatibility with upstream zlib also means that non-portage
software, the ones I install with "./configure --prefix=$HOME/usr &&
make install", also won't build.

It's a mess right now and it just doesn't look right.  The bug that
deals with it was locked from public view:

Is there a plan for this, or will we have to live with what is
essentially an incompatible Gentoo fork of zlib?