From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: how to handle sensitive files when generating binary packages
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 01:48:16
1 Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 >> Andrew Gaffney wrote:
4 >>> I'm not sure that's really a feasible solution (but then you probably
5 >>> weren't suggesting it with that intention). Being able to create a
6 >>> "backup" of any installed package without re-emerging is pretty
7 >>> handy. Many people use it and there would be a revolt if quickpkg
8 >>> were removed.
9 >>
10 >> Then live-filesystem-generated packages could be marked as 'not for
11 >> redistribution'.
12 >
13 > That's certainly a lot more feasible. However, it would have to be marked
14 > in some way that portage would recognize, and that marking could still
15 > likely be easily removed.
16 >
17 It's more feasible than banning the creation of packages from a running
18 system, that's true. The original solution doesn't seem so infeasible to me
19 though.. I have a feeling this is more about an alternative bin format ;)
20
21 > This still allows the social engineering attack. Someone can get a binpkg
22 > created with quickpkg of someone else's baselayout and then remove the
23 > marking that would make portage gripe.
24 >
25 Agreed.
26
27 As a user, I'd much rather just be able to quickpkg whenever I choose, and
28 know that the system will not allow sensitive files to be copied. Starting
29 with /etc/shadow and the like is great by me, as I'm fairly sure there'll
30 be a sensible plain-text config file I can edit by hand if I need to. If I
31 were to allow such files to be copied, I'd like a warning. Yes I mess up
32 sometimes, so what? I'm the user, it's expected ;p
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list