From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] rfc: deprecation of baselayout-1.x
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 03:03:20
1 All,
2
3 the time has come when baselayout-2.x and openrc are stable on all of
4 our architectures. That means that we should look into removing
5 baselayout-1 from the tree, removing support for it from our init
6 scripts and removing support for migration from the openrc
7 ebuilds.
8
9 1. we can remove baselayout-1 from the tree, I think, as soon as bug
10 #368597 is closed, because once that is done, all new installs should
11 be based on baselayout-2.x and openrc.
12
13 2. The next step is to reverse the changes we made in bug #273138 and
14 any other init scripts that have been reacting differently depending on
15 whether they were under baselayout-1 or openrc. Optionally we could
16 rework init scripts to take advantage of openrc specific features such
17 as the *_pre/post functions at this point.
18
19 Once this is completed, the init scripts in portage will not support
20 baselayout-1, so if anyone is still on baselayout-1 we should find a way
21 to encourage them to migrate -- maybe a news item? Also, we should come
22 up with a time window that will be published in this news item that will
23 mark the end of supporting migration from baselayout-1 to openrc.
24
25 3. The final step is to remove the code from the openrc ebuilds that
26 supports migrating from baselayout-1.x. Once we do this another news
27 item should be published since this is the point of no return; anyone
28 running a baselayout-1 based system will have to re-install to upgrade
29 once we drop this support.
30
31 Please discuss. Did I leave out any steps? Are there any points I have
32 left out besides the time window between steps 2 and 3? Should there be
33 a time window before removing baselayout-1? What about between steps 1
34 and 2? What do you consider to be a reasonable time window before we
35 stop supporting migration from baselayout-1 to baselayout-2/openrc? I'm
36 thinking on the order of a few months, but not years.
37
38 Thanks,
39
40 William