From: Steven Elling <ellings@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo ~arch testing policy?
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 03:54:54
1 On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 11:28, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
2 > On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 18:28:01 -0600
3 > Steven Elling <ellings@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > > How about a points rating system such as the following?
6 > >
7 > > Every ebuild put into the portage tree with ~ARCH gets -30 points for
8 > > each ARCH. For every day the ebuild is in portage, one point is added
9 > > to the points up to a maximum of 30 points.
10 > >
11 > > If a user installs the ebuild and finds that it does not work, that
12 > > user can submit a failure report to www.gentoo.org. Upon submitting
13 > > the failure a set amount of points are subtracted from the rating.
14
15 > I like the idea. I had the same yesterday evening ;-). But I think the rating should be seperated from the ebuild - because I naively assume this to lessen the load on rsync because this frequently changing info is compiled in a seperate file in the package dir.
16
17 Yea, having the rating system separate from ebuilds and rsync is kinda
18 what I meant. The rating system could be done as an application of its
19 own that has a ``database'' of ratings for each ebuild.
20
21 The application could be set up to listen on a certain port on a Gentoo
22 server where users could query it for ebuild ratings. Per session, the
23 traffic would be fairly light.
24
25 The application could also be setup to allow registered users to submit
26 one each of success or failure for each ebuild then have the success or
27 failure processed and tallied.
28
29 > > If a user installs the ebuild and finds that it works, that user can
30 > > submit a success report to www.gentoo.org. Upon submitting the
31 > > success a set amount of points are added to the rating.
32
33 > I think two ratings, one for users, one for developers without auto-incrementing would be better. User emerge failures and user emerge succeses should be affecting the user rating.
34 > The developer rating is only modified by the devs. A dev rating below zero means it was not checked by devs (would not get into portage with the old rules), A dev rating above ten is ~arch and above 20 is arch.
35 > A user can set thresholds for the user and the dev rating in the /etc/make.conf.
36 > There should be a warning that it is insane and unsupported to set the dev rating threshold below ten.
37 > The numbers are just examples but the equivalents of ~arch and arch should be well documented.
38 > The main problem will be getting useful user feedback and preventing misuse. However it will help branches of the portage tree to develop that devs cant take constant care of (like media-radio/*).
39 >
40 > Just my two eurocent.
41
42 Some like this would work.