From: Rob Cakebread <pythonhead@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: anders@×××××××××××.net
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Python setuptools/eggs
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 00:13:27
1 Anders Bruun Olsen wrote:
2 >
3 > But aren't eggs a bit against the Gentoo philosophy? I mean there are
4 > some eggs that contain precompiled C-extensions. Shouldn't it still be
5 > source builds that just somehow work with setuptools?
9 We wouldn't use the precompiled C eggs. The main reason I'm looking
10 at eggs so soon is because packages may start using them exclusively
11 and we will have the choice of using them via portage or let people
12 install them manually via easy_install. This happened with Rails. They
13 have the source available but comes with no way to install it properly
14 and they only support gems installations officially, so the gems eclass
15 was born.
18 <snip>
19 >>Mail me off-list or join #gentoo-python if you're interested
20 >>in working on the easy_install eclass, please.
23 > Should we move this off-list?
26 I haven't worked with easy_install for about a month so I haven't
27 got much to add, but I'm catching up on it tonight. Since nobody else on
28 the Python team has spoken up, I think they may not be caught up either.
29 I received a few mails from other interested people, and we're meeting
30 on irc for now.
31
32 Thanks,
33 Rob
37 Rob Cakebread
38 Gentoo Linux Developer
39 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x96BA679B
40 Key fingerprint = 5E1A 57A0 0FA6 939D 3258 8369 81C5 A17B 96BA 679B
41 --
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list