From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo-src vs gentoo/src
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 23:09:16
1 On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 18:50, Nicholas Jones wrote:
2 > > From what I am told, gentoo-src is deprecated and we should be using
3 > > gentoo/src instead.
4 >
5 > No, not really. That was a push by ex-devs (maybe others) a long
6 > time ago, and the work was never actually accomplished. Except for
7 > a limited number of migrations, nothing ever really became of it
8 > early on. Looks like we have a fair number of organized uses in it
9 > now.
10
11 Well, now you tell me after I went and moved the entire
12 gentoo-src/releng folder which I had just created to gentoo/src...
13 *grin*
14
15 > We do have 4 repos though... Which developed all around the time
16 > that the "gentoo" repo came into being.
17 >
18 > gentoo
19 > gentoo-x86
20
21 Too bad we can't rename this one... but that's another story.
22
23 > gentoo-src
24 > gentoo-projects
25
26 I didn't even know this one existed until now. It doesn't look to be
27 used very heavily.
28
29 > Gentoo-projects was created for a reason unknown to me when I
30 > asked, way back when. Looks like the TLPs took refuge there,
31 > which is how it looks like it should be.
32 >
33 > Gentoo-src is still used by portage, baselayout, releng, and
34 > has a number of older projects that could probably be useful
35 > if revivied.
36
37 Well, releng isn't using gentoo-src. We're using gentoo/src, at least
38 for catalyst and now the releng folder, which is where I've added the
39 kernel config files and spec files we will be using for releases.
40
41 > A major issue with moving gentoo-src is that the history would
42 > be lost. (At least, I'm fairly certain it would be, correct me.)
43 > That would be very unpleasant for portage, as I do use it on
44 > occasion to verify changes and review committers. I imagine it'd
45 > be nice to keep the commit logs and nametags for a long long
46 > while.
47
48 I can definitely see why we wouldn't want to move portage itself, being
49 our bread and butter. I just wish I had known that my information was
50 erroneous before I took the hour or two today to move the releng folder
51 from gentoo-src to gentoo/src.
52
53 Oh well...
56 Chris Gianelloni
57 Release Engineering - Operations/QA Manager
58 Games - Developer
59 Gentoo Linux
60
61 Is your power animal a penguin?