From: Maxim Kammerer <mk@×××.su>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Kernel compiles and you
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2012 03:38:16
1 On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 4:36 AM, Albert W. Hopkins
2 <marduk@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > There are kernel-dependent packages that (seem to) always look for
4 > configuration options, symbols, etc. in /usr/src/linux. When you use O=
5 > then those features do not exist in /usr/src/linux and thus those
6 > packages will fail. So I have basically abandoned using O=.
7
8 Try setting KBUILD_OUTPUT in /etc/make.conf — it will be used by
9 linux-info.eclass (and linux-mod.eclass) automatically, so most kernel
10 module-compiling ebuilds will do the right thing. There are
11 exceptions, such as the VirtualBox packages above, which want access
12 to the build tree outside module compilation for whatever reason, but
13 I already found a fix for that specific problem
14 (--with-linux=${KV_OUT_DIR}), so count me as a fan of O=.
15
16 You can also apparently set KERNEL_DIR to something other than
17 /usr/src/linux, but with "eselect kernel" available, this variable is
18 probably best left alone.
21 Maxim Kammerer
22 Liberté Linux: http://dee.su/liberte