From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Council meeting summary for 3 April 2012
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 11:45:30
1 On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 10:28 PM, Steven J Long
2 <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 > As for the burden of ensuring that binaries installed to /{s,}bin don't link
4 > to libs in /usr, why not just automate a QA check for that, and let
5 > developers decide whether a fix is necessary? After all, core packages that
6 > do that even when configured with prefix and execprefix = /, aren't so
7 > portable, and Gentoo has always championed "doing the right thing" wrt
8 > helping upstream fix portability issues.
9
10 The only issue with that logic is that upstream is perfectly aware of
11 what they're doing already, and bugs are likely to be closed as
12 WONTFIX. So, all the QA checks would do is ensure that we slowly
13 start maintaining forks of more and more packages. Right now the
14 problem is probably manageable, but I'm not convinced it will stay
15 that way. Once upstream developers consider all constraints to be
16 removed on their dependencies you could see a lot of stuff getting
17 pulled into root if you tried to enforce this rule.
18
19 In any case, it sounds like the directive is to keep limping along for
20 a while longer, and that makes sense anyway until docs/etc are
21 improved. I agree with Ralph's suggestion that the newer initramfs
22 tools should be stabilized as well.
23
24 Rich