From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: How a proper server profile should look like
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 03:20:31
1 On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 02:28:47PM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote
2 > On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 12:51 PM, Dustin C. Hatch <admiralnemo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > The package defaults have gotten out of hand, in my opinion. I use
4 > > default/linux/amd64/10.0 on all my machines and my /etc/portage/package.use
5 > > directories have dozens of -flag entries for packages with ridiculous
6 > > defaults, and almost none that come from the profile. I'm considering
7 > > removing pkginternal from USE_ORDER.
8 >
9 > And this is the problem with having the default profile be really
10 > minimal. It just moves the problem into per-package defaults that are
11 > much more painful to override.
12
13 I don't think changing the profile is the solution. I doubt that
14 dozens of maintainers will immediately unset unwanted default USE flags
15 simply because the default profile is made more bloated. As I mentioned
16 in a previous message, my personal experience is that it's actually less
17 work to start with "-*", and add as required, rather than to use
18 defaults and then hack and slash at the unwanted stuff.
19
20 Mind you, as per my sig, I run ICEWM and leave the extra ram for
21 useful applications. We may simply have to admit that we can't please
22 everybody. I suggest a "minimal" profile instead. It would boot to a
23 text console, and have networking and portage, allowing you to build
24 further.
27 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
28 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications