From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] explicit -r0 in ebuild filename
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 03:21:10
1 On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 20:12:37 -0700
2 Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > What this email is about is the inconsistancy allowed on disk and the
4 > fact explicitly leaving -r0 out of on disk name thus far seems to be
5 > an unofficial gentoo-x86 standard.
6
7 Which means it's not something to be specified in PMS. Devmanual,
8 possibly, but that's a whole different kettle of fish. (We don't
9 specify that you should use tabs for indenting in ebuilds in PMS
10 either.)
11
12 > > Uniquely indentifying an ebuild is an issue regardless of whether or
13 > > not -r0 is allowed. See PMS section 2.4.
14 >
15 > Stating that each cpv in a repo must be unique ignores that there are
16 > multiple ways to specify certain cpv's due to implicit 0 (both suffix
17 > and rev). Frankly it's pretty stupid to state "it must be unique"
18 > while allowing multiple ways for people to screw up and violate that
19 > constraint.
20 >
21 > Intentionally allowing gotchas is dumb behaviour- removal of the
22 > gotcha is the intention here.
23
24 PMS is going with the tree here. There have always been equivalent but
25 not equal ways of specifying versions, and people use them. You don't
26 want to start breaking people who use >=..._alpha0 when the version in
27 the tree uses plain _alpha, for example. Package managers have to deal
28 with this kind of thing, and it's not one of those areas where we can
29 change reality with little or no impact.
32 Ciaran McCreesh