From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Official overlay support
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 15:29:25
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 08:59 +0000, Stuart Herbert wrote:
3 >
4 >>>It is a Gentoo problem, because Gentoo gets innundated with bogus bug
5 >>>reports when users screw up their systems in weird ways and don't
6 >>>realise the cause.
7 >>
8 >>Convince me that this is something more than just a power play, and
9 >>I'll work with you. But that's the hurdle you'll need to overcome
10 >>first.
13 > Perhaps because he's not the only one saying it?
14 >
15 > Really, people, can we leave our personal bullshit out of a technical
16 > discussion *just once*?
19 >>Second hurdle is that you need to convince me that you "get" what the
20 >>overlays are there for. If you can't, then I can have no confidence
21 >>that any policies you bring forward are appropriate for the work we're
22 >>trying to enable.
25 > They are there to speed development and to allow users to contribute
26 > more directly. They should not be readable by the public, otherwise we
27 > run into the problem of users that don't know what they are doing and
28 > followed some half-way written guide on the forums using ebuilds from
29 > these overlays, breaking their systems, and filing bugs. This is *not*
30 > acceptable. I see no problems with allowing users to gain read and even
31 > write access to overlays, but it must be done with a certain level of
32 > caution of the main tree, or you'll have a very hard time getting
33 > support from the developer community at large.
36 +1
37
38 At least in my mind the overlays should be developmental overlays; not
39 for public comsumption. This doesn't mean "don't tell anyone about it
40 so that no one shows up." It means "interested users will probably
41 inquire about helping out, etc...and can be granted access fairly easily."
42
43 -Alec Warner
44 --
45 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list