From: "A. Craig West" <acwest-gentoo-dev@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Building binary packages for another system
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 01:30:59
1 On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, MAL wrote:
2
3 > > Well, I believe that the right way to do this is to have a chroot on your
4 > > faster computer where that chroot is insync with your laptop-system. That
5 > > way you will not get this problem nor a few other that is easily achived
6 > > when one tries to optimize for different architechtures/models in the same
7 > > build-tree.
8 >
9 > This is about as inconvenient as whipping the laptop hard drive out and
10 > plugging it into my desktop pc.. booting off it/chrooting to it, then
11 > building packages.
12
13 Wetting up a chroot image is currently the only way to do this, and it isn't
14 all that inconvenient. I use rsync to maintain the image. One problem is
15 that this isn't particularly effective for building for a number of different
16 systems. Another disadvantage is that you end up with a compiler that is
17 optimized for the slower system.
18 distcc also partly solves the problem, and allows the compiler on the faster
19 computer to be optimized correctly...
20
21 > No, I was after a real way that portage could extend it's usability to
22 > being able to build usable binaries for external systems.
23 >
24 > With this, I could run an 'ebuild server', where people request a
25 > package, giving the libraries that their system has.. and the (quad
26 > processor meaty pile of 4G DDR memory goodness) builds it for them.
27
28 The problem with your proposal is that portage doesn't really have much
29 control over the configure scripts, so it could be very difficult to
30 implement.
33 > In my opinion this would be a very useful addition to portage, for
34 > system administrators who administer many different Gentoo systems, and
35 > want to distribute packages to them all from a central location.
38 > Thanks for mentioning that possibility though.
41 Craig West Ph: (416) 567-1491 | It's not a bug,
42 acwest-sig@×××××××××.net | It's a feature...
46 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list