From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo's plan to remove .la files: QA document
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 10:40:44
1 El dom, 31-10-2010 a las 03:32 -0100, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto
2 escribió:
4 > Hash: SHA1
5 >
6 > Hi.
7 >
8 > As outlined in the global email about this issue, this email is to start
9 > a thread about the QA document. Please reply to this thread if you
10 > have any comments about this point.
13 > 3. Add a page to the QA project space (unless they're not interested)
14 > about la files and how to deal with them
15 >
16 > I think we can ask Diego to use large parts of his blog posts and charts
17 > about .la files[1], [2], [3], [4] as a source for the document. We can
18 > also add some basic info from the autobook[5], [6]. The goal would be to
19 > have a document similar to our own --as-needed guide [7] and to other
20 > distributions[8], [9].
21 > Anyone wishes to volunteer for this task?
22 > QA would such a document be welcomed in your project space?
25 > [1] - http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2008/04/14/whatabout-those-la-files
26 > [2] -
27 > http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2008/07/02/again-about-la-files-or-why-should-they-be-killed-off-sooner-rather-than-later
28 > [3] -
29 > http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2009/07/06/identifying-pointless-la-files-for-plugins
30 > [4] -
31 > http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2009/09/28/removing-la-files-for-dum-w-uncertain-people
32 > [5] - http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/autobook/autobook_11.html#SEC11
33 > [6] - http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/autobook/autobook_68.html#SEC68
34 > [7] - http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/asneeded.xml
35 > [8] - http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Libtool_archives#shared_build
36 > [9] - http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Overlinking
39 > - --
40 > Regards,
41
42 I rely a lot on devmanual, then, I think would be interesting to create
43 a section on it telling us when should we remove .la files and how to do
44 it properly.
45
46 Thanks a lot :-)