From: Stroller <root@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal: networking startup script rewrite
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 22:09:37
1 On 13 Oct 2003, at 7:56 pm, Michael J. Cohen wrote:
2
3 > After wrestling with our current net implementation to get bridged
4 > interfaces
5 > and vlans working, which ended in me just setting up things in
6 > local.start, I
7 > figured a rewrite of our network scripts is in order.
8 >
9 > I have made a primitive version of the rewrite available here:
10 > http://325i.org/proposed-net-replacement
11 >
12 > It is useless in its current state and only provided as an example.
13
14 Michael,
15
16 I'm not really sure what you regard as the failings of the current
17 /init.d/net configuration. I have to say that I spent a couple of days
18 struggling with it myself, and although I did whine about it at the
19 time (see my postings <http://tinyurl.com/qsjh>) the upshot is that I
20 rather like it the way it is.
21
22 I'd agree that if a script to call `brctl` appropriately was installed
23 by net-misc/bridge-utils then it would make configuration a lot easier,
24 but this is a simple addition to a single package, rather than a
25 rewrite of the whole framework. I really would like to see such an
26 inclusion, considering that the bridging code is, I believe,
27 incorporated into the upcoming 2.6.
28
29 Bridging works fine here & fairly seamlessly with the current
30 framework. I found that everything fell into place once I moved
31 /etc/conf.d/net to /etc/conf.d/net.eth0 & /etc/conf.d/net.eth1, so that
32 it's contents (particularly with respect to gateways) are ignored by my
33 /etc/conf.d/net.br0 script. Not much in addition is required to get
34 everything up & running - I would have been glad to provide my scripts,
35 if I had seen your posting to -user.
36
37 I don't know much (erm... well, anything) about VLANs, so I'm probably
38 missing some of your reasoning against the current system. Actually, I
39 don't know much about anything, so maybe you could explain (like an RFC
40 or a GLEP, maybe?), listing the problems of the current system & how
41 your solution would resolve them..?
42
43 I'm sorry if I seem biased or antagonistic, but really don't like the
44 idea of uniting the network scripts in anyway like you describe. I may
45 have struggled with them myself, but that's only because I'm so
46 incompetent - I got there in the end. I once tried parsing one of
47 Mandrake's network initialisation scripts, but floundered wildly - with
48 Gentoo you know intuitively to look for iptables stuff in
49 /etc/conf.d/iptables and so on.
50
51 The only improvements I'd no ask for in the init scripts are more
52 commenting - I'm firmly of the school that believes in 2 lines of
53 comments for every line of code. I'd like to see all code
54 human-readable for a newbie to the language.
55
56 Stroller.
60 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list