From: Simon Cooper <thecoop@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: ML changes
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 20:42:51
1 As another invisible AT, theres a couple of points I want to make about
2 blanket blacklisting:
3
4 1. gentoo-dev has an outside image. The current, anyone-can-post,
5 projects the image that the developers are happy to receive outside
6 opinions that may be different to 'how things are done'. This is,
7 mostly, a good thing. More ideas can only improve the technical quality
8 of gentoo, even if those ideas are discarded. Moderating -dev will only
9 reinforce the image of cliquiness within the developers. This is bad.
10 2. It will kill recruitment. This point has been made before, iirc.
11 3. A dilbert quote (paraphrase?) comes to mind - 'Something must be
12 done. This is something, so we must do it'
13
14 Personally, I agree with ttuttle's idea about being able to whitelist
15 non-devs - a blanket blacklist is simply not the way to do it - people
16 do not have to be developers to contribute to gentoo. I can also see the
17 benefit of introducing -project and waiting to see what happens. When
18 you introduce lots of changes to a software project at once, and
19 something breaks, you do not know what broke it. It pays to introduce
20 things one at a time and testing between. The same can be applied here.
21
22 Simon Cooper
25 Change the world - move a rock
26