From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Services and software which is critical for Gentoo should be developed/run in Gentoo namespace
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 15:45:08
1 On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 1:17 AM Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, 14 Sep 2020 10:15:31 -0400
4 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 > > It might be easier to take smaller steps, such as having a policy that
7 > > "any call for devs to use/test a new tool/service, or any service that
8 > > automatically performs transactions on bugzilla, must be FOSS, and the
9 > > link to the source must be included in the initial communication, and
10 > > it must be clear what version of the code is operating at any time."
11 > > That is a pretty low barrier to those creating tools, though it
12 > > doesn't address the infra concern. However, it does mean that infra
13 > > is now free to fork the service at any time, and reduces the bus
14 > > factor greatly.
15 >
16 > For the situation of things that take life before being part of infra,
17 > I think the least we can do is recognize their utility and importance,
18 > and at least, have infra *offer* some sort of shared location to run a
19 > deployment.
20 >
21 > That I think helps everyone, gives people a place to remove their own
22 > bus factor, but without mandatory strongarming.
25 The main challenge is always getting stuff onto infra. The past few things
26 we have launched have been because the developers in question joined infra
27 to launch their work.
28
29 - repomirror-ci and all the CI stuff is on infra because mgorny is also on
30 infra! It's not like we set his stuff up for him; instead we gave him
31 access to all the infra repos and he had to write his own puppet configs
32 and whatnot. The benefit of course is that anyone on infra can bump the
33 stuff and login to the machines and debug...but its not exactly a low bar.
34 - packages.gentoo.org was also originally arzano pushing patches to me
35 (which I would merge and then release by hand.) Just like with ebuilds this
36 eventually became too tedious and he was onboarded as a dev and infra
37 member to eliminate the middleman.
38
39 I think traditionally it's been a slog for non-infra people to get infra to
40 host much of anything and due to difficulties with the all-or-nothing
41 approach we take with infra credenteials; can really set a high bar to host
42 much of anything these days.
43
44 -A