From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: Gentoo project list <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Cc: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: "Trusted contributor model"
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 18:18:55
1 On Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 7:57 AM Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Cross-posting to gentoo-dev and -project lists due to technical and
4 > non-technical nature. Reply-to is set to -project.
5 >
6 > Once again new council has been elected: congratulations to the chosen
7 > members! And once again many nominees expressed their wishes to see more
8 > non-developer contributors to become official developers. Yet, only very
9 > few people (if any) are interested in mentoring them. I get it, the
10 > relationship between a mentor and their mentee is very intimate, and
11 > mentoring takes a lot of time. While the Github PRs are helping us
12 > increase the user contributions merged, perhaps it's distancing us from
13 > creating stronger bonds with the contributors? But more about this topic
14 > later.
17 > 1st RFC: "Trusted contributor model"
18 >
19 > I'm proposing us to giving special commit access to our well-reputable
20 > contributors (mostly proxied maintainers). They'd have access _only_ to
21 > their maintained package in git-tree. To understand what I mean, check
22 > git shortlog -s -n net-im/telegram-desktop-bin/
23 > git shortlog -s -n net-im/signal-desktop-bin/
24 >
25 > There are few packages like these where I'd already trust the core
26 > proxied maintainer to commit at their will. It's as ajak said during the
27 > council election; _We_ are the bottleneck currently reviewing and
28 > _testing_ contributions, and with these two examples above, 99 % of time
29 > everything's in condition and we just need to merge. Obviously if these
30 > trusted contributors had to touch another package, or anything in
31 > profiles/ (just basically anything outside their dedicated package
32 > directory) they'd have to do a PR or .patch file to be merged by
33 > official developers. And they'd still need a proxy Gentoo
34 > developer/project listed in metadata, at least for now, to take
35 > responsibility.
36 >
37 > On the technical side I'm not sure how to achieve this, but I know it
38 > can be done. For example the sync-repos are compiled like this all the
39 > time. If this proposal gains support, I'm willing to start figuring it
40 > out more in-depth.
41 >
42 > AFAIK Fedora and Arch have somewhat similar systems in place already.
43
44 How would you suggest we track who has commit access, etc? The same
45 way we do with developers, via a developer bug?
46
47 I ask because I've noticed a lot of inactive proxied maintainers—one
48 of which had been listed in metadata.xml for 6 years but had never
49 committed to ::gentoo.