From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] new eselect module: compiler
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 05:08:46
1 On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 01:52:29 +0100
2 "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
3
4 > On 10/08/16 01:39, Lei Zhang wrote:
5 > > 2016-08-09 13:58 GMT+08:00 Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>:
6 > >> As a question to Lei, I'm wondering why you chose eselect compiler, and
7 > >> not gcc-config to manage the links. In a way, gcc-config is tailored
8 > >> towards gcc, but it does a lot of things also for the environment. With
9 > >> clang, from my experience, you just want it as drop-in replacement for
10 > >> gcc as it doesn't give you too much issues (on Darwin at least).
11 > > In its current form, gcc-config specializes in handling different
12 > > versions of gcc. If we extend it to cover other compilers (and rename
13 > > it to cc-config as James suggested), should it handle different
14 > > versions of clang? What about different versions of icc?
15 > >
16 > > I'm just afraid gcc-config would become too complex that way, so I
17 > > prefer a simpler approach: let eselect-compiler be version-agnostic.
18 > > Then we can have clang-config to handle the versioning of clang,
19 > > icc-config to handle icc, etc.
22 > > Lei
23 > >
24 > Extending the ideas presented in this thread .. you could introduce
25 > cc-config, and which utility script it runs would then be governed by
26 > eselect compiler .. eg. gcc would have gcc-config, clang would run
27 > clang-config ..
28
29 .. to switch between the one version of clang that can be installed?
32 Best regards,
33 Michał Górny
34 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>