From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: List of aging ebuilds?
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 12:43:23
1 Lance Albertson posted <1119015018.9438.7.camel@×××××××××××××××.lan>,
2 excerpted below, on Fri, 17 Jun 2005 08:30:18 -0500:
3
4 > On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 12:32 +0200, Markus Nigbur wrote:
5 >> On Thursday 16 June 2005 18:14, Rob Cakebread wrote:
6 >> > Anyone have the source for the package aging list?
7 >> >
8 >> > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/23231
9 >> >
10 >> > Maybe we can find a new server to run it on?
11 >>
12 >> I've asked that myself every now and then. aliz seems lost.. Guess we/I
13 >> should recode it.
14 >
15 > I have no problem hosting this on our servers officially somewhere, just
16 > need to find the code or rewrite it as you said.
17
18 The script is a /great/ idea!
19
20 However, there was a problem with the implementation of that version. I
21 don't understand the specifics (something about portage not containing
22 the necessary data in an easily accessed format), but the effect was that
23 the top ten list was of little practical use at all, because all ten slots
24 were always filled with entries for packages that it said had been ~amd64
25 (or some other non-x86 arch) for longer than Gentoo amd64 has been around,
26 when the ~amd64 keyword might have just been added. Since there were
27 always more than ten packages that fit in this category, with extremely
28 long times at ~arch according to the script, nothing else was ever listed,
29 and the top-ten list as posted at least, was of no practical use.
30
31 The issue was never resolved, but if it could be, either by fixing it or
32 by eliminating that criteria from the list of things it checked for if
33 resolving the issue itself was too difficult, the script could be very
34 useful.
39 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
40 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list