From: Robert Buchholz <rbu@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Splitting desktop profile to KDE and GNOME
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 13:58:22
On Saturday 24 October 2009, Maciej Mrozowski wrote:
> Resulting from discussion during last Gentoo KDE team meeting taking > place 22 Oct 2009 at #gentoo-meetings (summary fill be available > soon), having Gentoo GNOME team representative, it's been decided to > go ahead with splitting desktop profile to DE-specific subprofiles, > to avoid bloat and provide desktop specific separation which should > result in desktop subprofiles being actually practical.
(From your email) I fail to see the advantage as other commenters have pointed out. What problem is there that cannot be solved using dependencies and kde/gnome use flags? This decision just seems to increase the split between KDE and Gnome and that does not reflect user's realities: They use both. Gnome desktop + kmail, k3b, yakuake or KDE with evince, etc. Why add one more decision to make where the result is unclear (and honestly, profile documentation is almost zero)? Robert