From: Juergen Hoetzel <gentoo@×××××××.info>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reverse dependency Scanning
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 12:13:53
1 Why not reverse it:
2
3 1. *DONT* unmerge an old lib (the *.so.* file) if the soname changes due
4 an upgrade. Just leave this single file on the file-system
5 2. Scan your system in regular intervals for unused old shared libs
6
7 This seems much simpler and doesn't break systems.
8
9 Jürgen
12 > Well, this is something I spent quite a bit of time on yesterday, with
13 > some help from bonsaikitten on figuring out the python madness.
16 > Before ferringb tells it again, no, I know this isn't foolproof, cannot
17 > be 100% in coverage, won't cover dlopen, conditional includes, bash
18 > source inherit or other such fancy things that people do :)
19 >
20 > However, it somewhat works ;)
21 > What it does :
22 > given a list of files ( `etcat files category/package` generates a
23 > nice one ) it scans them, classifies into "scripts, perl, python,
24 > libraries, executables" , then does its best to parse theese into
25 > generating a list of -needed- files.
26 >
27 > This means that it outputs a list of shared libraries linked against,
28 > python modules imported, perl modules, and script interpreters
29 > ( #!/bin/bash ...)
30 >
31 > So, taking that list you can then play around a bit with `qpkg -f` and
32 > you'll end up with a nice list of packages that are actually used.
35 > So, I know it isn't foolproof, don't expect it to be. However, feedback
36 > would be nice, patches and so on.
37 >
38 > oh, where it lives? cvs : gentoo/users/spider/depreverse , expects to
39 > be ran from the current directory as it calls "./..." for the included
40 > scripts.
41 >
42 > http://www.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/users/spider/depreverse/?root=gentoo
45 > //Spider
48 > --
49 > begin .signature
50 > Tortured users / Laughing in pain
51 > See Microsoft KB Article Q265230 for more information.
52 > end
57 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list