From: Jean Jordaan <jean@×××××××××××××××××.za>
To: Kevin Lacquement <klac@××××.ca>
Cc: Heinrich Wendel <lanius@g.o>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP #16: Gentoo Menu System
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 21:51:20
1 > "Application;Office;Wordprocessor", one "Application;Wordprocessor",
2 > "Editors;Wordprocessor", etc. You stick the app in a category, and let
3 > Portage figure out where it goes under the tree.
4
5 This sounds like an idea that I've tried to express once or twice, e.g.
6 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/11868
7
8 """
9 I think a hierarchy, where every ebuild has a specific place in
10 the tree, is a bad fit for portage or for any packaging system.
11 One does need a taxonomy or controlled list of categories, but
12 an ebuild can legitimately belong to many categories.
13 """
16 Jean Jordaan . .. .... ///\\oo//\\\
17 http://www.upfrontsystems.co.za
22 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list