From: Alexander Holler <holler@××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why is make installed sgid?
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 09:48:02
1 Hello,
2
3 --On Donnerstag, Juni 20, 2002 04:56:12 +0200 Karl Trygve Kalleberg
4 <karltk@×××××××.no> wrote:
5
6 > On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Alexander Holler wrote:
7 >
8 >> I just want to ask why make is installed sgid.
9 >
10 > Good question. Submit a bug report for it.
11
12 I've found it. Make needs sgid root to access /dev/kmem to obtain the
13 system load for option -l (see tests/README).
14
15 But because this seems to be the only reason for the sgid, and I believe
16 that almost nobody ever uses this option, I vote for a installation of make
17 without sgid.
18
19 Regards,
20