From: Jerry A! <jerry@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Help w/Install
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 22:21:13
1 On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 10:15:23PM -0600, Daniel Robbins wrote:
2 :
3 : The current CD doesn't use devfs by default, but it is supported. Also note
4 : that we haven't actually tested Gentoo Linux on a laptop yet -- and PCMCIA
5 : support doesn't exist yet. Is that something you'd be interested in fixing?
6
7 Actually, we have tested it against a laptop. This is the machine I've
8 been using all along. I just haven't had any time to make clean
9 portages of the laptop utilities.
10
11 : Yes, it's possible to install rc3 and bring it up-to-date -- if you're careful.
12 : cvs.gentoo.org is an updated rc3 system, but, err... I'd wait for rc4 if you
13 : can. Actually, it'll be called rc5 since there have been so many improvements
14 : in the last two months. :))
15 :
16 : Sorry that I don't have a distribution ready for you, but we will soon. For
17 : now, if you want a distro on your laptop, I'd recommend installing a
18
19 I understand. Two things. First, I'm worried that I may not get
20 another two/three day break which I can spend reconfiguring this machine
21 for a while. Second, I'm impatient. 8)
22
23 --Jerry
24
25 name: Jerry Alexandratos || Open-Source software isn't a
26 phone: 703.599.6023 || matter of life or death...
27 email: jerry@×××××××.org || ...It's much more important
28 || than that!