From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: udev <-> mdev
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 00:31:30
1 Rich Freeman posted on Sun, 15 Jul 2012 14:48:55 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > Giving it a little thought, the simplest tmpfs-based root would be one
4 > that defines a tarball as a the root. The system would create a tmpfs,
5 > extract the tarball to it, and then use the existing fstab-sys module to
6 > mount stuff on top of that. This gives you the option of actually
7 > putting some content in the tarball, or just storing an empty directory
8 > structure in it. A tarball would let you set permissions/etc and be a
9 > bit more generic than writing a custom script. If you wrote a module to
10 > do this I wouldn't be suprised if upstream let you merge it. You'd just
11 > need to define some kind of sane syntax for it
12 > (root=TAR=path...to...tarball - though how a path works with nothing
13 > mounted you'd have to define). Maybe you define the tarball at
14 > initramfs creation (as is done with fstab.sys and mdadm.conf).
15
16 Tarball is an interesting idea I hadn't considered. At first blush I
17 like it. =:^)
18
19 Thinking in that direction does stimulate yet another idea, tho. What
20 about a squashfs root? AFAIK squashfs is read-only at use time, thus
21 enforcing actually mounting something else to write anything, eliminating
22 many of the down sides of sticking with the initial ramfs root, but it
23 would allow the same flexibility in terms of sticking whatever into it at
24 create-time, while only taking the memory necessary for what's actually
25 stuck in it at create-time. I /think/ it's swappable, too, which would
26 give me some flexibility in terms of letting more stuff be added at
27 create-time without having to worry about it being locked in memory. And
28 I think squashfs is reasonably tested territory for this sort of thing,
29 given its use for live-media, etc. And it's in mainline now, too, which
30 is nice. =:^) I'll have to do some research and think about that a bit
31 more...
32
33 Definitely thanks for the tarball idea, as otherwise I'd probably have
34 not got out of my "box" and thought about squashfs. I'm probably missing
35 its downsides ATM, but you still broke my thinking out of the box!
40 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman