From: Paul Varner <fuzzyray@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] revdep-rebuild
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 14:46:40
1 On Sun, 2005-08-14 at 07:20 -0700, Stefan Jones wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2005-08-13 at 23:26 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > i've already contacted fuzzray about utilizing two packages solar put together
4 > > (and can be found in portage already):
5 > > pax-utils: scanelf
6 > > portage-utils: qfile
7 >
8 > Thanks for the ideas.
9 >
10 > I had a quick look at the programs;
11 >
12 > qfile: This would be useful in cleaning up the the last part of finding
13 > which package the file belongs to. But that part is already fairly quick
14 > compared to the rest.
15 >
16 > scanelf:
17 >
18 > >From what I can see scanelf can print what libraries a file needs but it
19 > cannot say if the libraries are present. For example:
20 >
21 > /usr/bin/scanelf /bin/ls -n
22 > TYPE NEEDED FILE
23 > ET_EXEC librt.so.1,libncurses.so.5,libc.so.6 /bin/ls
24 >
25 > So you would need to keep a list of all libraries to check against.
26 > Thus I prefer using:
27 > LD_TRACE_LOADED_OBJECTS=1 /lib/ld-linux.so.2 /bin/ls
28 >
29 > But you could use "ldconfig -p" to gain a list of all the libraries, put
30 > them in a hash table and then use scanelf.
31
32 All of this is on my todo list for the next major revision of
33 revdep-rebuild.
34
35 The one bug that I haven't found an easy, quick, reliable method to fix
36 is Bug 63643 (revdep-rebuild does not rebuild libraries with unresolved
37 symbols). If anyone has suggestions for that one, I would highly
38 appreciate it.
39
40 Regards,
41 Paul