From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: Douglas Russell <puggy@×××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] install CD bloat
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 17:55:10
1 On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 10:54:20AM +0100, Douglas Russell wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > I think there are two camps trying to put forward points here and I'm
6 > reasonably convinced that the camp arguing strongly for a vim are the camp
7 > which also plan to us their livecds for rescue and popping in all over the
8 > place to get a useful basic linux system. I can quite understand that in this
9 > case having a powerful editor would be extremely useful. However, considering
10 > purely the case of the installation, and download size I'm sure the
11 > experienced users who are more likely to be using vi would be able to manage
12 > editing a single file with nano.
13 >
14 > I must say I really liked the idea from earlier on which would allow you to
15 > easily add things to your livecd easily to make your own custom livecd, then
16 > you can make it as huge as you want, with vim, emacs or whatever, creating
17 > your perfect livecd.
20 I'm sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I'm specifically referring to inside
21 the stage - i.e., what's available when you chroot. That's where you'll
22 be doing things like editing make.conf.
23
24 I have no strong feelings about what goes on the LiveCD.
27 Jon Portnoy
28 avenj/irc.freenode.net
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list