From: Corvus Corax <corvus-ml@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] removing dhcpcd from system???
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 05:05:16
1 > wtf crack monkey ...
2
3 hey guys, an oppinion from a gentoo user here:
6 if you remove stuff like dhcpcd, do it right
7
8 I agree that, while some ethernet networks NEED dhcp clients, as some gentoo
9 users need pppd to get on the net, its an optional feature, we can live with
10 that being emerged seperately if needed (as is pppd).
11
12 However the current init scripts depend not only on a dhcp client, but on dhcpcd
13 hardcoded and they dont check for its presents, they just assume its there like
14 if it were ifconfig
15
16 it not being there the ebuild would still somehow work and use the fallback
17 static setting, if given, however this would get confusing to users (especially
18 if no static setting is set) thinking
19
20 "i have set it to use dhcp ion /etc/conf.d/net like the install documentation
21 says, and my dhcp server runs, but i cant get a lease, what the heck is wrong
22 here ?!?"
23
24 so either make /etc/init.d/net.ethx check for a dhcp client present before
25 trying to use it and WARN the user if not
26 (when you are on it, you could also add support to some other dhcp clients and
27 introduce VIRTUAL/dhcpc)
28
29 or make dhcpcd an rdepent in the baselayout ebuild
30 (it actually IS a runtime dependency right now the way those init scripts are
31 written)
34 while actually a bug in baselayout (and hopefully filed on bugzilla meanwhile
35 after this discussion) I think the idea of silently removing dhcpcd from the
36 profile, this way triggering that bug almost willingly was a bad practise
39 not really crack monkey style, but not thought through either.
43 my 2 ¢
44
45 Corvus
48 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list