From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: phajdan.jr@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] does v8 shared library make sense with current upstream approach?
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 09:48:45
1 Dnia 2013-09-22, o godz. 17:17:53
2 ""Paweł Hajdan, Jr."" <phajdan.jr@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > I'd like maintainers of all packages depending on dev-lang/v8 to make
5 > their packages use bundled v8 copy instead (I can file bugs for that,
6 > let's discuss here whether it should be done).
7 >
8 > For now V8 upstream gives no guarantees about API/ABI stability and
9 > actually breaks it very often
10 > (<http://upstream-tracker.org/versions/v8.html>). Having a shared
11 > library so closely tied to packages (which results in frustrating
12 > blockers, since v8 is updated often and chromium is synchronized with
13 > that) is not really much different from everyone bundling the library.
14 > I'd like that to improve, but for now it's time for a pragmatic solution
15 > to this IMHO.
16
17 If this trend continues, I think we should work on some technical way
18 of tracking bundled libraries, e.g. for security issues. Like ebuilds
19 listing the corresponding Gentoo packages, like:
20
21 QA_BUNDLES="dev-foo/bar-1.2.3"
24 Best regards,
25 Michał Górny