From: Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis <Arfrever@g.o>
To: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Packages pulling in python-3*, also they dont require it
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 09:32:20
1 2010-03-19 10:23:31 Dale napisał(a):
2 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 > > On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 03:54:28 -0500
4 > > Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >
6 > >> Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
7 > >>
8 > >>> On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 23:17:17 +0100
9 > >>> Ben de Groot<yngwin@g.o> wrote:
10 > >>>
11 > >>>
12 > >>>> Because it is extremely useless to the great majority of users.
13 > >>>>
14 > >>>>
15 > >>> Most packages in the tree are useless to the great majority of
16 > >>> users.
17 > >>>
18 > >> Which is why most users don't install everything. I have about 1000
19 > >> packages installed here. The packages installed are either something
20 > >> I use or a dependency of something I use. What exactly is this being
21 > >> installed for again? If nothing depends on it, there is no need to
22 > >> have it.
23 > >>
24 > > It's being installed because it's a dependency of something you use.
25 > >
26 > > Replace Python with any other library and we wouldn't be having this
27 > > discussion.
31 > OK. Right now, as you type this, what package depends on python-3 and
32 > won't work with python-2? Anything at all? If it is nothing, then why
33 > install it?
34 >
35 > Since python-3 is not what the system is using, it's not getting used
36 > even if it is installed. So as I mentioned in another reply, portage is
37 > installing something and it is just sitting there doing nothing. What
38 > is the point in that?
39
40 I can add "python2" USE flag (enabled by default) to some versions of
41 dev-lang/python. With USE="-python2", Python 2 will not be required and
42 Python 3 will be set as main active version of Python.
45 Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis