From: Paul Varner <gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] kernelmod-rebuild-0.1
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 21:34:13
1 All:
2
3 Since this thread was mentioned today in the Gentoo Weekly News, There
4 is definitely a demand for this type of script. Anyhow I'm now working
5 on 0.2 based upon the feedback that I have received.
6
7 Besides adding a couple of new options, I'm also looking at speeding up
8 the script where possible. One of the things that I brought over from
9 revdep-rebuild was the calling of emerge to order the packages. This
10 has the result of the script using the emerge three times. Two times to
11 determine the order in which the packages should be recompiled and the
12 third time to actually recompile the packages.
13
14 The more that I look at this, the more that I think that it is
15 unnecessary work for what I am trying to do. Can anyone think of why I
16 should care or not care about the order that I pass packages to emerge
17 when recompiling existing packages that contain kernel modules? I can't
18 think of any, but I'm also not knowledgeable of the portage internals
19 yet.
20
21 Regards,
22 Paul