From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 20:49:29
1 On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 08:50:32PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Wed, 17 May 2006 12:06:09 -0700 Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
3 > wrote:
4 > | Clarify on virtuals please. Unless you're mangling the data for
5 > | sym/dir, that's an unmerge time decision (as such it's not vdb data
6 > | specific).
7 >
8 > We're faking new-style virtuals for old-style virtuals, so things end
9 > up in vdb that don't have an associated 'real' ebuild. Portage can't
10 > unmerge them, and it has some trouble with the reduced-content entries
11 > for these too.
12
13 Instead of on the fly generation of the virtuals pkgs (as
14 pkgcore/portage do), you've flattened them into an actual on disk vdb
15 entry?
16
17 Re: incompatibility, that can be dealt with by generating a fake
18 ebuild- already generate an env from the looks of it (not seeing
19 anything in RDEPEND/DEPEND however).
22 > | > We went over this already. Remember webapp.eclass?
23 > |
24 > | Nope. Assume I'm stupid, don't ask a question when I ask for an
25 > | answer, just state it please- saves both you and I time.
26 > |
27 > | Do recall they were triggering merge -C calls on their own, but
28 > | that's not portage incompatibility as much as doing something dumb...
29 >
30 > And that's exactly it. At what point does something stop being API and
31 > start being "someone is doing illegal things with internals"?
32
33 Common sense. Paludis wouldn't like what they were doing any more
34 then pkgcore nor portage- modification of a node cannot cause unstated
35 dependency changes, what they were doing was going outside the
36 constant metadata rules binding all ebuild supporting pkg managers
37 (well, the ones that don't want the 100-400x hit from lacking a
38 metadata cache at least).
39
40 A real example of where portage doesn't support an ebuild in the
41 tree would be welcome (as stated, if it exists it needs fixing).
44 > | Ebuild is easy- I'm pointing at it because the local env issue should
45 > | rear it's head there. It's also a tool that ebuild devs rely on
46 > | fairly heavily for debugging, as such two birds one stone (locals
47 > | issue you get to investigate closer, and you flesh paludis out
48 > | further).
49 >
50 > Actually, I was planning to handle that one by BREAK_FUNCTIONS (name
51 > sucks and is not final), which is kinda like SKIP_FUNCTIONS but rather
52 > than skipping, launches an interactive shell.
53
54 Did something similar with ebuild-shell- folks for the most part liked
55 it.
56
57 Meanwhile... get cracking, you'll see far more local assumptions
58 transitioning between phases then transitioning between groupped merge
59 phases -> groupped unmerge phases
62 > | > Portage still relies upon being able to source ebuilds, even if
63 > | > their EAPI isn't supported.
64 > |
65 > | Paludis doesn't?
66 >
67 > Nope. Paludis can sanely (as in, treat as EAPI masked) handle ebuilds
68 > that bash can't parse. This paves the way for XML-based ebuilds, which
69 > as we all know is a critical feature required for enterprise support.
70
71 'Cept EAPI was specifically targeted at bash based ebuilds only.
72 Alternative formats (non bash fex), expected folks to solve that issue
73 themselves (since I didn't see a sane general solution to it).
74
75 For what EAPI is defined as, portage supports it fully.
78 > | Related, doc this stuff out please. Portage differences doc you've
79 > | got is more "we're better cause of xyz"- which is fine, but a low
80 > | level "this is what we do differently" (metadata/security fex) would
81 > | at least allow the possibility of folks being on the same page.
82 >
83 > Yeah, that's something that would be useful. I was trying to get spb to
84 > do it...
85
86 I'd suggest it as priority- it's really not all that fun arguging over
87 details lifted from scanning the code, and getting into terminology
88 wars.
89
90 Get the doc up, folks can evaluate what the actual support costs for
91 paludis are vs assumptions/guesses.
92
93 ~harring