From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: zfs-devel@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Porting ZFS to additional architectures
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2013 20:59:26
1 On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 11:25 AM, Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
2 > Dear Everyone,
3 >
4 > Does anyone have root access to Linux systems on any of the following
5 > architectures that is willing to help ZFS development?
6 >
7 > Alpha
8 > HPPA
9 > IA-64
10 > MIPS/MIPS64
11 > PPC/PPC64
12 > SH
13 > SPARC/SPARC64
14 >
15 > I want to port ZFSOnLinux to all Gentoo Linux architectures this year.
16 > The above architectures either are not currently supported or have not
17 > been tested in a while. Most of them will require patching isa_defs.h,
18 > which I am in a position to do. I am not distributing the patches
19 > because I don't know if ZFS will build on those platforms.
20 >
21 > People willing (and able) to help should email me with their
22 > architecture and distribution. Gentoo Linux is preferred, but not
23 > required. No knowledge of programming is required. I will provide you
24 > with instructions on how to build and test ZFS on your architecture.
25 >
26 > Yours truly,
27 > Richard Yao
30 I talked to ryao on IRC, but didn't seem to get my point across:
31
32 (Almost?) no one runs Gentoo on any of these architectures for
33 anything other than the novelty. There is zero point in maintaining
34 ZFS on them, and it only stands to add load to the arch teams.
35
36 These architectures operate on a
37 we-only-keyword-things-necessary-or-users-ask-for policy. I don't
38 think ZFS falls into either of these cases.