From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Deprecate EAPIs 0 and 1?
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 15:04:40
1 * Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> schrieb:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > after approval of EAPI 4, there are now 5 different EAPIs available,
5 > and it's hard to remember what features are offered by which EAPI.
6 >
7 > So maybe it's about time that we deprecate EAPIs 0 and 1 for new
8 > ebuilds. As a first step, a warning could be added to repoman that
9 > would be triggered whenever a new ebuild with an EAPI less than 2 is
10 > committed.
11
12 Is there a way to scan automatically for ebuilds with older EAPIs
13 w/o actually running emerge ? Is grep'ing sufficient ?
14
15 Just hacked up a little scan script ... see attachement.
16
17 > At a later time, the warning could be changed to an error. When most
18 > of the tree has been updated to EAPI 2 or newer, we could also think
19 > about actively converting the remaining ebuilds. (Currently this
20 > doesn't look feasible though, as about half of the tree is still at
21 > EAPI=0. [1])
22
23 IMHO, when an EAPI is declared depcreated, new or changed ebuilds
24 should not use it anymore. Deprecation should not happen as long
25 as base packages still use it.
28 cu
29 --
31 Enrico Weigelt, metux IT service -- http://www.metux.de/
32
33 phone: +49 36207 519931 email: weigelt@×××××.de
34 mobile: +49 151 27565287 icq: 210169427 skype: nekrad666
36 Embedded-Linux / Portierung / Opensource-QM / Verteilte Systeme