From: Dylan Carlson <absinthe@×××××.com>
To: Emiel Kollof <coolvibe@××××××××××××.org>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage irk...
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 14:39:08
1 On Thursday 30 January 2003 08:42 am, Emiel Kollof wrote:
2 > Hi folks,
3 >
4 > Why is it, when I unmask a package (with a higher version number than
5 > the "official one") by using ACCEPT_KEYWORDS, portage downgrades it on
6 > the next emerge -u world to a lower version? This is very irritating
7 > behaviour. Can it be turned off or disabled somehow?
10 One way to do it: remove whatever packages you do not want touched by
11 "world" out of /var/cache/edb/world. The packages in that file are the
12 only ones that will get looked at whenever you run 'emerge -u world'.
13
14 Secondarily, I suggest running 'emerge -up world' to see what would be
15 downgraded first, without actually running anything.
16
17 Automatic downgrading is generally healthy behavior (if for example, we
18 unmasked a new version which later proved broken/unstable, therefore we
19 need people to revert to an older, stable release).
20
21 This is a FAQ... I'm sure there are some enhancements to Portage underway
22 which will make this issue more elegant/intuitive.
23
24 Cheers,
25 Dylan Carlson [absinthe@×××××.com]
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list