From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] How can I get the ebuild I wrote noticed by someone(maybe developer)?
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 15:44:42
1 Shaochun Wang wrote:
2 > I wrote an ebuild games-misc/llk_linux-2.3 and uploaded it on bugzilla
3 > of gentoo on Mar 2007. After one year, this ebuild still just stays on
4 > bugzilla. I don't know whether someone used it or not. How can I found
5 > this type of information from bugzilla?
8 The difficulty is that for a dev to commit this to portage is
9 essentially a commitment to continue to maintain it. For this reason,
10 obscure packages may be harder to get into the tree.
11
12 You might consider looking into gentoo sunrise, which is designed to
13 allow ebuild contributors to get packages into a semi-official overlay
14 with a lower threshold of entry, but with some QA.
15
16 You can find info on this project at:
17 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/sunrise/
18
19 Alternatively, your best bet for getting something into portage is to
20 ask nicely on this list, or in the forums, or on irc. It doesn't always
21 work, and this is more-or-less by design. The goal is to have a high
22 level of QA for packages in portage, and that means that nothing can
23 really get into the tree unless somebody is willing to commit to
24 maintaining it. Overlays like sunrise are a good way to allow users to
25 still have packages while lowering the barrier to entry and getting more
26 participation.
27
28 The hope is also that some who participate in sunrise might even go on
29 to be full-fledged developers, and packages that get a lot of attention
30 in sunrise might eventually move to the main tree.
31
32 I hope this information helps you a little. I actually have nothing at
33 all to do with sunrise, but I know those involved in this project have
34 been trying to promote it. One thing I like about sunrise is that it
35 helps address one of the biggest gentoo user complaints - that gentoo
36 makes it hard to get involved.
37 --
38 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list