From: John Davis <zhen@g.o>
To: Joshua Brindle <method@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GRP set consolidation
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 23:15:40
1 On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 17:34, Joshua Brindle wrote:
2 > Ok, we just had a conversation in #gentoo-dev and it seems most people
3 > are interested in this. The problem as it stands is that our mirrors are
4 > low on space and so other projects can't get space, such as embedded,
5 > hardened and even other archs. The main user of space is having 5 grp
6 > packagecd's for x86 alone. The idea is to build a consolidated grp set
7 > with a generic -mcpu (i686 or so) and then use that.
8 >
9 > As I'm sure this will become a large and flaming thread, and probably
10 > won't read them all I'll just go ahead and suggest that we add this to
11 > the next meeting to discuss it if there are large amounts of disagreement.
12 >
13 > Joshua Brindle
14 >
15 > --
16 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
17
18 Josh -
19 Seems like something good to research to me. GRP does take up a lot of
20 space on the mirrors, not mentioning the fact that it takes a ton of
21 time to build.
22
23 But..
24
25 Before we do anything, I would like to gather some user input. I
26 remember klieber talking about a system that he was setting up that we
27 could use to survey users. Kurt, any progress? I don't want to make a
28 relatively major change to releases without at least some user input.
29
30 Cheers,
31 //zhen
32 --
33 John Davis
34 Gentoo Linux Developer
35 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~zhen>
36
37 ----
38 GnuPG Public Key: <http://dev.gentoo.org/~zhen/zhen_pub.asc>
39 Fingerprint: 2364 71BD 4BC2 705D F338 FF70 6650 1235 1946 2D47