From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Forming Gentoo Policy - Copyright Assignment and Attribution
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 21:20:06
1 On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 04:51:17PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 >
3 > If you have any concerns/objections to the policy which was outlined,
4 > which includes a mandatory requirement to sign a contributor license
5 > agreement and an option to also sign an assignment-like document based
6 > on the FSFe FLA, please speak up this week.
7
8 I've already said this before, but I guess I need to say it again:
9
10 If a contributor license is required to be signed, I'll have to
11 stop contributing to Gentoo.
12
13 Other developers will be also affected, and you will find it hard to
14 attract new developers who happen to work for companies that forbid
15 their employees to sign these types of things (a _very_ common thing in
16 the US, I have yet to work for a company in the past 20+ years that
17 would have allowed this without going through the company's legal
18 council for approval, a usually very difficult thing to achieve for a
19 single developer.)
20
21 I was here when the copyright assignment form was dropped due to all of
22 the problems it was causing new developers (myself included.) Have you
23 somehow figured out how to handle all of the issues that were raised 8+
24 years ago with the old assignment we had?
25
26 Is there really no one around now (other than myself) that had to deal
27 with that mess in the past?
28
29 History, forgetting it, doomed.
30