From: Jamie Learmonth <jamie-lists@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: flameeyes@g.o, gentoo-commits@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in dev-libs/boost: boost-1.46.1-r1.ebuild metadata.xml boost-1.49.0-r1.ebuild boost-1.51.0-r1.ebuild ChangeLog boost-1.47.0.ebuild boost-1.35.0-r2.ebuild boost-1.47.0-r1.ebuild boost-1.39.0.ebui
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 13:52:10
1 Firstly, why are you guys always so mad, and secondly why don't we just
2 start packaging more of these packages as binaries then or bundling the
3 needed version like the rest of the world does anyways? For many packages
4 and systems (in this day and age of personal computing power) the advantage
5 of source or not bundling is negligible but mostly I am starting to get
6 slightly concerned about everyones health having been reading this list for
7 years now. Things like slotted boost and a new glibc really wind some
8 people up, it's not good - it's very concerning. Your health is more
9 important than being forced to increase your compiled binary size by a few
10 KB, despite the tempting memory gain, or because your package won't compile
11 because someone removed one of the 8 available versions of that library you
12 depended on. It is easier to buy more RAM than to reduce ones blood
13 pressure, let me tell you.
14
15 So how about we transform this distro into one where decisions are made on
16 real world benefits, not purist ideals, and technical giants help each
17 other to make breakthroughs unimaginable to others because they are
18 smarter, work together, and the most kick-ass geeks on this interweb. I
19 want to keep using Gentoo not just because of the pretty colours on the eix
20 output or because when I run emerge --world in a coffee shop all the chicks
21 think I'm that guy from the Hackers movie, or even because my favourite
22 color is purple. I want to keep using Gentoo because the team effing rocks!
23
24 Who's with me?
25
26 Jamie